YUM YUM YUM!!! If you want a meal to impress here you go
Candle 79 is one of my favorite vegan restaurants! And one of my fave dishes there is the Seitan Piccata. I adapted this dish from their recipe and it was super deeeeelish! I am sure this sauce would work on tofu, tempeh, etc… soooo yummy!!
I knew both our dads love Creamed Spinach and Polenta so I wanted to make it for them vegan style It was super creamy and super amazing!! I doubled the recipes below to make sure we had enough and we were happy to have some left over! They were sooo good!
I love meals where people are like…”How is this vegan?!” This wasn’t the most low-fat of meals but it sure was amazing!! Creamed spinach and creamy polenta is not everyday food for us, but it was perfect for a special occasion.
Vegan Seitan Piccata
adapted from Candle 79 in NYC
1. Dredge seitan cutlets in flour, shaking off excess.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in skillet over high heat. Sauté cutlets in oil 30 seconds per side, or until crisp and golden brown. Remove seitan from skillet, and drain on paper-towel-lined plate.
3. Add remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil to skillet, and return to high heat. Add shallots, onion, capers, and garlic, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Whisk in wine and lemon juice, and cook 3 to 5 minutes more.
4. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 1 minute to combine flavors. Whisk in parsley, margarine, salt, and pepper. Pour over seitan cutlets, garnish with large caper berries or lemon slices, and serve.
- 6 seitan cutlets, rinsed and drained (I used 12 cutlets – Gardein Lightly Seasoned Chick’n Scallopini)
- Whole-wheat flour for dredging
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 Tbs. drained capers
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used red instead)
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Large caper berries or lemon slices, for garnish, optional
Vegan Creamed Spinach
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup soy creamer
- 3/4 cup plain soy milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- grated nutmeg
- fresh pepper
1. Large pot of water with salt – boil
2. Put spinach for about a minute then drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, then chop spinach
3. Place oil in broad saucepan on medium-low, add flour and cook stirring consistently till golden, then stir in creamer/milk
4. Add spinach and bring to a boil until spinach has absorbed most of liquid and sauce is thick, about 15-25 minutes
5. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and season to taste
Vegan Creamy Polenta
- 1 cup vegan creamer
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarse cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance
- fresh ground black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan bring the creamer, soy milk and the water to a boil.
2. Add the salt and then gradually add the polenta while stirring.
3. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring constantly.
4. The polenta should be smooth and large bubbles will pop on the surface.
5. Cook until very thick but not stiff, about 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add earth balance and pepper.